Monday, February 9, 2009

renaissance man


Art.Fashion.Photography. All words that make Phillip, a renaissance man.

Phillip Annand certainly has cultivated a brand that truly takes you on an Award Tour.
Vibrant colors. Refined Artistry.
Look books that display a sense of family are the components that differentiate this line from others.


Take us through the beginnings of the line, how did this all come about?

Like a lot of other people out there, I was first obsessed with the sneaker game, and to support that I started making money painting shirts back when brands like Miskeen were hot. This would be around '04. I got tired of how long it took to complete a custom shirt and looked into screen printing. I had 100 shirts screen printed for my first run and sold out of them in 4 days at school. After I saw that it was viable enterprise it exploded from there into the first collection and kept on growing.

Your own line, your own designs, your own creative vision. What inspires your work?

It might be cliche, but really everything has a part in the inspiration behind the production. Every little thing I come across can speak to me its own way but there are obviously some hall mark things I turn to for continued inspiration. Among those would be Polo (Ralph Lauren), Art Nuveau and Art Deco movements, the great outdoors and
Of course amazing music preferably being played on vinyl.

One thing you and I, have spoken about when discussing both of our projects, has to be the branding. Your branding definitely exceeds your age, yet still holds to your personality. Explain how you came to that?

For myself branding, or really presentation, is the fun part. Putting your personal seal for the general public to digest is the part of the process I savor. That's when you truly get to present your ideas, so when I go about putting out a season, that is what I most look forward to and put the most effort towards. Presentation comes second only to design quality, and the lookbook is the most effective way to carry your message..

I will literally sit around all day brainstorming drifting off in my mind as people talk to me trying to visualize how and where I want to do the next photoshoot.

I have about 6 projects always rotating in my mind and at this point I just don't have the resources to complete them but trust that first and foremost the branding is already complete in my mind hah.

I guess to really answer your question since I just rambled, the branding for Award Tour is the "Phillip Annand" brand. It's a relection of how I lead my life and how I want to portray my clothing. The refined and clean design sense, but the completely and at times ridiculous almost childish playfulness of the blog and design aspects. It's all about bringing the story together and presenting it cohesivly.

Whats next for you and/or The Award Tour?
Global domination or an actual world tour would be pretty deserving endeavors but I'm looking to continue the expansion of the brand. The next season will be sold in Australia, England, Scotland, Germany and the US, I would love to see the list of international comapnies expand in the next few years. Personally I need to graduate from school and hopefully slide into a Creative Directive position somewhere.

Whats cool to Phillip Annand?

Woolenrich Mills. h(y)r Collective. Willie Hutch. Yeasayer. Nielson Dining Hall. Forest Green Moccasins. Handdrawn illustration. Award Tour Ribbed Pull Beanie (Spring 09) Jumping from trees. CTRL. Ife Safia. 7/11 Double Gulps.



Back in 89, I simply slid into place
Buddy, buddy, buddy all up in your face
A lot of kids was bustin rhymes but they had no
taste

-Phife "award tour"
http://www.theawardtour.com/